Conservation Almanac

Almanac

:

Nevada

Nevada Profile of State Programs and Policy Framework

Highlighted Local Programs

Nevada

Highlighted State Programs

Nevada

State Policy Framework

Nevada

Disclaimer

To avoid double counting acres where multiple programs contributed to the acquisition of a single parcel, the acreage is only aggregated under the program that provided the majority of funding. For example, if the table below displays a dollar amount greater than $0 for a given year but shows 0 acres, the program was not the primary contributor for any parcels in that year. As a result, a prolific program may show very low acreage figures on this page. To see customized program information please visit the map viewer tab or contact the Conservation Almanac Team.

Highlighted Local Programs

Local Conservation Programs Include:

    Carson City, NV

    Washoe County, NV




Visit
LandVote.org for detailed information on these programs.

YearAcresDollars
2015 21.7 $325,000
2014 0.0 $15,000
2013 20.8 $225,000
2012 490.2 $1,266,796
2011 698.6 $3,522,615
2010 523.8 $4,738,591
2009 346.8 $1,277,811
2008 313.9 $5,004,136
2007 10.5 $348,989
2006 1.0 $417,595
2005 0.0 $88,750
2003 29.4 $822,500
2000 69.1 $327,600
1999 68.1 $0
1998 120.6 $0
Totals 2,714.6 $18,380,385

Highlighted State Programs

Nevada Division of State Lands

The Division of State Lands provides land use planning services within the state and administers four programs, including the Question 1 Program. In 2002, voters approved Question 1, a $200 million general obligation bond for water quality protection, wildlife habitat protection, and land conservation. Following approval, the Division of State Lands received $65.5 million in Question 1 funds.

YearAcresDollars
2011 11,730.4 $4,026,397
2010 440.5 $6,252,818
2009 430.3 $3,160,107
2008 477.9 $5,446,668
2007 663.9 $6,552,893
2006 43.9 $1,114,686
2005 1,007.3 $2,041,158
2004 3.3 $450,000
Total14,797.5 $29,044,729

Nevada Division of State Parks

The Division of State Parks manages and maintains 23 parks for an estimated 3.3 million visitors annually. Lack of a stable funding source in the past meant that many acquisitions for Nevada State Parks occurred as donations and land exchanges. The department received $27 million as a result of approval of Question 1 funds by voters in 2002.

YearAcresDollars
2009 80.0 $1,999
2006 1.0 $1,900
2004 277.4 $425,293
1999 3,489.0 $4,579,822
Total3,847.4 $5,009,014

Nevada Department of Wildlife

The Nevada Department of Wildlife manages and restores fish and wildlife resources and habitat in the state through a system of wildlife management areas. These areas serve to maintain and enhance fish and wildlife populations, protect diverse wetland and upland habitat, and ensure wildlife-related outdoor recreation uses and facilities in the state. The Department used $27.5 million from Question 1 funds to add to its system of wildlife management areas.

YearAcresDollars
2014 631.5 $149,000
2012 958.3 $1,441,742
2008 4,161.0 $320,000
2006 1,200.0 $750,000
Total6,950.7 $2,660,742

Nevada Tahoe Environmental Improvement Program

The Tahoe Environmental Improvement Program (EIP) is a 20-year capital improvement plan that identifies over $1.5 billion in projects and programs to improve the environment at Lake Tahoe. A unique partnership exists to implement the EIP. Funds are appropriated between the federal government, the states of Nevada and California, local governments, and private property owners. Nevada's commitment was $82 million from two Tahoe Bond Acts (1986 and 1996), a license plate program, and mitigation fees. The Nevada Tahoe Resource Team, an inter-agency team coordinated by the Department of State Lands, leads Nevada's efforts as part of the EIP.

YearAcresDollars
2005 2.7 $185,000
2001 0.4 $135,000
2000 5.7 $370,000
1999 6.0 $1,330,000
1998 2.8 $480,000
Total17.7 $2,500,000

Southern Nevada Public Land Management Act

The Southern Nevada Public Land Management Act (SNPLMA) became law in 1998 and authorizes the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to dispose of (sell) public land within a specific area of the Las Vegas Valley. Of the revenue generated by the disposals, 15 percent goes to local governments and the remaining 85 percent is deposited into a special account for acquisition of environmentally sensitive lands, capital improvements on BLM lands, and development of a habitat conservation, parks, trails and natural areas. *

*Acquisitions made using SNPLMA funds are categorized as federal in the Conservation Almanac.

State Policy Framework

Substantial State Investment

Enable Local Financing

State Incentive for Local Land Conservation

Public-Private Partnerships

Conservation Tax Credits

Federal Partnerships

Some data was not provided on a yearly basis, but rather as an aggregate figure. In this case we have distributed total acres acquired and/or dollars spent evenly by year.